Cheryl Melody Baskin, Author of "Shift of Heart."
7 Presidential Election Coping Tools
Without my taking political sides, the emotional climate of this 2016 election can be tough on the body, mind and spirit! Trauma, depression, confusion, negativity, shock, bewilderment and disillusion are just some of the emotions that seem to be filling our beings lately. In keeping with the theme of my book, “Shift of Heart-Paths to Healing and Love,” here are 7 presidential election coping tools that I personally use in order to “go high, when it feels low”-to quote Michelle Obama.
- Stay focused on your intention to love. Each of us is the positive energy for mirroring love. Love is the only gift that will see you through this time period, and beyond.
- Find one small way to show love, kindness, compassion, forgiveness and caring to someone—someone you know and someone you don’t know. Quietly offer someone “soul food” -a smile, warm eye contact, a softer heart, a “please and thank you”, opening the door for a stranger, letting someone in front of you in line or in traffic: All of these actions towards being love will feel so nourishing to your own spirit. Nothing feels better than taking the high road in life!
- Think and say loving words to yourself, and love that inner child within you. Be your own loving parent to yourself, nurturing and nourishing your essence, being gentle with yourself, going for a slow walk and breathing in the healing power of nature, and deciding to love rather than to judge and criticize yourself.
- Be the changes you want in others and in the world. That is all that we can do! We can’t change the volatile climate that is occurring. All that I can change is….me; all that you can change is…you. Rise above the chaos, and heal yourself beyond the negative noise.
- More than ever: BE love! Send yourself that energy, send it to people that you enjoy and even to those with whom you have personal issues.
- Remember to psychically send this love out to the world too: It is a form of Meta-Meditation: Offering yourself love, your friends and family love, a stranger- love, someone whom you don’t like-love (quite the challenge), and send it out to all corners of our precious world. Our thoughts can be felt vibrationally. All we think, do, feel and say is resonated outward.
- Believe in love and hope, and make it your intention to become that catalyst for positive change, one moment at a time, one person at a time. Stay above the noise and don’t sink into it or become it. Love like your life depends on it, because it does.Cheryl Melody Baskin
Author: “Shift of Heart: Paths to Healing and Love”